Beneath the Fur is a tribute to dogs for the joy the bring to our lives. "Beneath the Fur, there is a sentient being, that deserves peace and joy and a place to call home...just like the rest of us". ~Colleen Paige (Founder of National Dog Day).
While making lots of your favorite food dishes for your friends and family this weekend, why not spoil your fuzzy family members too?
This simple, delicious recipe is a perfect treat alternative for dogs that are constantly itchy due to seasonal or food allergies. And humans can eat them too!
And it’s healthy! A special thank you to PetGuide.com for this great recipe!
Grain-Free, Coconut and Banana Dog Treat Recipe
Makes about 20-30 cookies
1 cup coconut flour
2 eggs *(add 1 extra to help them from getting too crumbly)
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 banana, mashed
1 Tbsp honey *(local honey can help with seasonal allergies)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
½ cup almond milk *(I skip the milk completely, this give you a more dry consistency.)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Stir egg, peanut butter, banana, coconut oil and honey in a bowl and mix well.
3. Stir in the coconut flour and mix well. Add almond milk as needed to help the dough come together. *(I do not add any milk) *(I let it dough chill in fridge for 1 hour before next step)
4. Coconut flour recipes are crumbly so you won’t be able to roll it out. Instead, scoop your tablespoon portions and place the balls on cookie sheets. *(push/flatten balls so they cook more evenly)
5. Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
*These are the adjustments I made.
They really do have an amazing smell coming out of the oven.
August 26th is the official National Dog Day for USA.
Don't forget to celebrate with your favorite, made in USA, artisan jewelry too!